Whilst schools have now weathered the COVID storm and returned to a more recognisable normal, more entrenched problems remain. For years schools have faced a mounting crisis in teacher recruitment and retention that still shows few signs of improvement.
According to recent research 71% of school’s employers are finding it hard to recruit permanent staff. The shortage of ‘new blood’ is compounded by schools’ difficulties in retaining existing teachers.
The labour market is continuing to perform strongly, with unemployment at its lowest rate since the 1970’s, so during this session our expert with almost 30 years’ recruitment experience will be looking at why the market is so difficult to navigate and what you can do to overcome your recruitment and retention challenges.
During our webinar, our expert will go through some key elements of what makes a robust and successful recruitment process and will give you some hints and tips on how to improve staff retention in a challenging market. Here are just some of the things to start thinking about:
- Think about how you can streamline your recruitment process and what would make it more effective whilst maintaining safer recruitment standards.
- Learn how to hire successfully in a competitive market.
- Obtain tips on how to attract the best candidates to your school or MAT. (Our webinar will discuss how to market your vacancies simply and effectively whilst getting the best outcomes).
- Evaluate your Advertising – does it work and is it worth the cost? (We will look at whether external advertising really is the most effective way to fill your vacancies).
- Think about referrals and how they can really work for your schools or MAT. How could you promote this?
- It is important to remember to choose quality over quantity – we will look at how to create a robust and inclusive selection process.
- Feedback can be a powerful tool and we will look at how to seek it and use it in decision-making. (Including your current staff in the recruitment process can not only be empowering for them but beneficial for you, during our webinar we will talk about the benefits of using this as a tool in your recruitment armoury).
- Do you create the best candidate journey? Do you keep candidates engaged during the recruitment process? (With so many opportunities presented to them candidates can often ‘drop out’ of the recruitment process – our webinar will look at how to retain your candidates through to interview and offer).
- How will you keep your new hires engaged and get them to become your best advocates?
- What is your plan for tackling retention? We will look at how to track it and how to improve it.
- Have you got a clear career pathway for all staff and provide plenty of opportunities to learn and progress. We will look at how to create one.
- What methods can you use to cultivate collaboration and engagement?
- Have you considered how automation could help and how an effective system can improve overall outcomes and save time.
Catch up on our previous webinars here.
If you have any specific queries or questions that are affecting you regarding HR and recruitment, then please do not hesitate to contact our team on 01924 827869 or leave your details online.
Source: Schools Week